Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Goal Setting for A work At Home Business Opportunity

Goal setting is a very important step to take in order to build a work at home business opportunity, but it is an area that many people skip. To be successful online you need to get used to setting goals, short term, medium term, long term and perhaps your ultimate goal.

You may need to have goals to cover areas outside your business life, social, fitness and mental goals.

Goal setting trains you to reach whatever you you desire and acts like a map leading you to your destination each goal achieved acting as a waypoint along the road map to riches. I refer to maps because in 1999 I challenged myself to compete in a 1,000 K long adventure race.

Over a three month period leading up to the race I had to learn many skills, such as sea kayaking, caving and inline skating. my ultimate goal was to finish the race,my long term goal was to start the race, my medium term goal was to be selected for a team and short term goal was to learn the new skills. I set goals for each skill, for example inline skating was expected to cover 100K so this was further broken, the first goal was to be able to stand up and be able to stop, then each week I had to add an extra 10k to my training.

Once selected for the team my short term goal was accomplished and I had then to train with a team so as to ready to start the race in the Philippines. I still remember one hour before the start my team Captain commenting that I was very quiet and I replied that I was just getting my head around the fact that the first leg of the race was kayaking over 35K, most of it upriver and yet as a team we had only kayaked 1 kilometer together. We had goals set throughout the race and after 11 days of racing, I sat in the South China Sea disappointed to have missed my ultimate goal. Click here to read my account

It was two more years and two more big races before my dream became reality and I finally crossed a finish line, which brings me to the next point.

Goal setting also involves thinking about how you will feel about reaching a goal, you need to try to visualise you next goal, see yourself reaching the goal and write down how you will feel and how important it is to achieve your goal.

Goal setting is a key to your success, it keeps you on the straight and narrow and helps you avoid distractions which can cause failure. Every time I am approached by someone with a new online business opportunity I ask myself a simple question, will this lead me to my next goal and I take the appropriate action.

I recommend you review your goals at least monthly. I use Simplology webcockpit from http://www.simpleology.com/ to help me on the road map to riches.

David Ogden Internet Marketing Mentor
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
Malaysia